Smarter Eating Tips
Lighten up your favorite recipes by substituting healthier ingredients. And follow our simple tips for cutting calories.
|If a recipe calls for...
||A combination of half whole wheat flour, half all-purpose flour|
|White bread or white-flour tortillas
||Whole-wheat bread or whole-wheat tortillas|
||Grilling or broiling|
Want to save a few calories?
- Watch what beverages you consume during the day. Do you drink a lot of alcohol, soda or juice? Switch to diet versions of your favorites. Or better yet, switch to water
- Substitute one snack a day with a piece of fruit
- If there are fruits and vegetables you’ve never eaten before, give them a try. You don’t know what you like or don't like until you've tried it
- Split your dessert with a family member or friend
- To avoid eating an oversized portion when dining out, request half of your meal in a to-go box. You’ll resist the temptation to overeat, and have a ready-made lunch for the next day
- Grocery shop when you’re not hungry, and use a list
- Prepare one vegetarian dish a week
- Are you hungry all the time? Eat more protein—it will keep you feeling full longer